12 January 2006

Waving the MLS Flag

First, an update to the Free Beer Movement's "Operation: Deflower". First, we need a better name. Second, I thank the following people for stepping up and indicating interest:

(Quick Update for those that missed it the first time: In accordance with We Call It Soccer's call to convert people to MLS via beer, the idea is that we'll schedule one or two dates where various soccer bloggers will take someone who has never been to an MLS game before to their local home team (or team that they support). Each blogger will buy their guest a beer. Each blogger will interview their guest about what they liked and didn't like about the game, and post about it afterwards. Note that "Beer=Sierra Mist" in Utah.)
- Kali from Real Salt Lake Blog

- John from Pseuso Corner Kick

- Joe from We Call It Soccer

So, once the MLS schedules come out, I'll try and identify a promising timeline, and see if we can get a few more people to sign up.


Now, as to why I wanted that Deadpin commenting invite. After some thought, I've come to the conclusion that MLS soccer fans are somewhat invisible. Too often we hang out in among our peers, but don't integrate enough with fans of other sports. When we do, we're very quick to say "Well, soccer is superior because we have no [time outs/free substitutions/Sammy Sosa/etc...]" I don't think that attitude gets us anywhere except into a direct conflict with The Jim Rome Experience. Consequently, anyone we might win over views us as just another hyper side. Instead, I hope to simply provide general sports commentary when I can, and if anyone says "Does MLS have any real fans anyway?" I can simply respond with "Well, yeah. Me, for one." I don't intend to present soccer as a superior sporting choice option, but instead as a viable one. It's enough simply to have people think "hey, there are soccer fans" and to wonder why on their own, rather than take the "OMG, if you don't like soccer, YOU ARE TEH STUPID!!!11!! LOL!11!" angle. At least, that's what I think now.


Oh, and once I figure the comment system out, I'll be happy to try and get invites to any of my soccer blogosphere comrades that are intereted. You hooligans.

8 Comments:

At 12 January, 2006 14:14, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sing me up! hoo do I join this free beer movement?

 
At 12 January, 2006 14:21, Blogger D said...

Oscar -- Your question is well placed. See the update now made to this post for your answer.

 
At 12 January, 2006 14:25, Blogger Kali said...

Could you embarrass me a little more?

I'll offer up a free beer before the game in the parking lot or whatever -- I'll even personally buy you a beer when I come to DC in March -- I just can't take it anymore! ;o)

 
At 12 January, 2006 14:36, Anonymous Anonymous said...

D,
Don't know if you saw this

John, from Pseudo Corner Kick

 
At 12 January, 2006 15:38, Blogger D said...

I saw it just now. Ouch.

 
At 12 January, 2006 17:08, Blogger Mr. Fish said...

Count me in for deflowering...

 
At 12 January, 2006 17:10, Blogger brucio said...

my team, minnesota thunder, is not an mls team, but is better than many (and current rocky mountain cup holders), and i will be taking people to games again this next year
i try for 4 or 5 games per season
its not easy
but being a season ticket holder i once got our front office to give me a deal on some extra "general admission" tickets so i could bring the new people
very cool of them
maybe you should all ask your ticket rep if a deal might be had for your team
so - count me in
bruce

 
At 02 March, 2006 02:01, Blogger Ole said...

hmmm, KC is about 2 1/2 hours from Springfield so I'm going to have to reach out to a few of my boys about making the trip.

 

Post a Comment

<< Return to The DCenters Main Page (HOME)