15 February 2006

Point. Laugh. Sympathize.

The Wikipedia Entry on Houston 1836 is great reading right now. Choice excerpts:

Houston 1836 was a soccer club based in Houston, Texas that didn't quite get to participate in Major League Soccer...The soon-to-be-named-again (not Houston 1836) club will play its home matches at Robertson Stadium, located on the University of Houston campus...The name "1836" has drawn the ire of some, as the date's meaning can be read as intrinsically anti-Mexican. This has led to name-gate, and the franchise will be renamed. Again.

I haven't used The DCenters to comment on the Houston 1836 mess for a few reasons. First, it's Houston's problem, and this is a DC United blog. They have the team now, do with it what you will. Second, while I can consider myself an expert on ethnicly insensitive names being a fan of the Redskins, I really am not sure how offensive 1836 is. I mean, is it like calling the team the New York 9/11/2001s? Really? If so, the name had to change. If not, then I don't see what the fuss is. I'm guessing that it really isn't that offensive, but what do I know? Maybe Houston 1836 is the equivalent of Dublin 30 January 1972. What do I know? Nothing. Which is why I won't comment on this. Because I don't know.

Houston Lone-Stars would be lame. Sadly, I'm a fan of Houston Gatos. The fighting kitties of Houston! Keep the orange and black scheme, it would work.

4 Comments:

At 15 February, 2006 18:41, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's a dumb name anyway..so change it.

As to it being offensive...who knows...but it seems that in this country it's pretty easy for anyone to find something to be offended about.

Muslims who are jailed in WA State are now suing because they aren't getting special meat to keep in line with their religion. The state corrections cooks just feed them vegitarian meals...and they are offended...so yeah....

Not a smart thing though...to piss off your fan base that identifys heavily with Mexico. The MLS needs as many paying customers as possible.....

 
At 15 February, 2006 20:44, Blogger Crew Fan said...

The fighting kitties? Nice. Then again, I'm a pretty hardcore Ohio State Buckeyes fan. A buckeye is the nut that grows on the buckeye tree. Whoo hoo, I guess that makes me a nut!

 
At 15 February, 2006 23:36, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know what four digits I'm chanting when Chivas & Houston 'Quakes show up at RFK!

 
At 16 February, 2006 17:18, Blogger Mike H said...

Glad to see there is another fan of the Gatos out there.

 

Post a Comment

<< Return to The DCenters Main Page (HOME)