24 May 2006

The USA and Morocco Star in Sam Shepard's "True West"

USA 0 : 1 Morocco

I'll let more USA and World Cup focused blogs discuss this matter, but for me there was something oddly familiar about the game I watched last a night. I saw a team that was dominating, strong, creating more and more chances as time went on. I saw a relative world cup minnow showing great hustle (especially on defense) and tactically sound one touch passing. I saw a goal scored against the run of play on a counter. This is a game I saw many times, only before the underdog was the 1994 USA team.

I don't know that this means much, only it was strange to see the roles so transparently reversed in a game. In a strange way, I feel comforted that the United States is the victim of an oft-told morality tale of international play: No matter how big you are, you can lose in a moment. Usually we've been hoping to take advantage of that cliche, it is strange to see it applied to us for once.

For more on the strange power of narrative reversal and Gary Sinese, enjoy.

3 Comments:

At 24 May, 2006 09:33, Blogger I-66 said...

You know, maybe 20 minutes had passed since I said to my friends "Cherundolo's my man of the match right now."

 
At 24 May, 2006 14:15, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Convey was awesome, I wish he'd have salvaged the draw at the end. Morocco played better as a team, even if they dove and had a number of hadnballs. The US midfield looked out of joint. The defenese I thought played well and got caught upfield at the end.

I'm not sure the Wolf as a winger experiment proved succesful. Was Mastroeni asked to do too much defensive midfield work with Donovan/Beasley/Convey/Wolff also playing the middle?

I was primarily looking for 2 things from this game - a solid game from the defenese (overall a B+), and creating chances from the run of play instead of relying on set pieces and corners. On the latter, players were either sending in hopefull balls from too wide or choosing to pass instead of shoot. That should be ironed out in training.

 
At 24 May, 2006 15:38, Blogger D said...

I-66: I was on similar lines... but man he looked tired.

Oscar: That's good analysis you got there. I shall say only "Nice work"

 

Post a Comment

<< Return to The DCenters Main Page (HOME)