27 July 2006

Half-formed -baked -edited Post

The Bill Simmons-Spurs Thing: I've been getting a surprising about of search traffic on Bill Simmons' selection of Tottenham Hotspur, and our Pick an MLS Team for Bill Simmons article. Having now read the phrase "it says something about the state of the American game" on some EPL blog (and I'd cite it if I could find it again) this makes it even more important for Bill to declare an MLS team preference. On that note...

Several commenters wrote in to say that since Bill is, after all, the [Boston] Sports Guy, that his choice is pretty obviously the Revolution. Perhaps. There's a lot of hometown loyalty that I can This is not Bob Bradley... or is it?understand there. Still, there are problems with the Revs that I don't think make them the ideal choice. As pointed out by my wife, there's the head-coach comedy value. There is nothing remotely funny about Steve Nicol. Not a bit. Bob Bradley at least has an (unearned) nickname of Cheatin' Bob around here, and also looks a bit like the Giant from Twin Peaks. So CD Chivas wins that battle.

Commenter Kinney also pointed out that this could create the first great MLS Celebrity rivalry between Drew Carey and Bill Simmons. It's a Disney Civil War! ABC-Family against ESPN! Who will win? (Of course, noted pimp Wayne Brady would certainly defect to Simmons side, if just because he couldn't stand another hoedown. Plus, the image of Landon Donovan being confronted by the phrase "Is Wayne Brady going to have to choke a bitch?" is just too wonderful. It must happen! All of that is lost if Bill were to support the Revs.)

Forget Happy Hour, Think Ecstatic Ninety Minutes: Went to the DC Sports Blogger happy hour (hosted by Mr. Mottram or Mr. Irrelevant) last night. Nice group of people out there. I think MLS fans expect that fans of other sports are just dismissive of MLS. I don't think that is the case. So to all sports fans that are curious about DC United, I urge you to check out a game. No, it isn't World Cup quality. But neither is it the dreary affair of poor quality that it is sometimes portrayed as. Keep an open mind. If MLS can win fans of sport over to its cause, maybe not as "MLS is my favorite sport" but "MLS is certainly a legitimate sport that I will pay attention to" then a major hurdle will be cleared. I think it is completely achievable. I have some thoughts on that... but I have to figure them out in a more coherent way than this post.

The other bonus of going out for drinks is that I missed what was apparently a dreadfully dull Everton-Crew matchup. Hm.

Whither? Did the Sporting Rogue say goodbye, and did I miss it? J. Michael's place seems to have gone off-line, and that makes me sad.

4 Comments:

At 27 July, 2006 12:14, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Sporting Rogue said his farewell to blogging last week.

Too bad.

 
At 27 July, 2006 13:02, Blogger Brian said...

I decided to skip the happy hour last night because I wanted to watch the Creul vs. Everton match. After realizing a slow drill bit to the temple would have been more enjoyable than that match, I figured out I made the wrong decision. You chose wisely my friend.

 
At 27 July, 2006 13:31, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damn, I forgot all about it. Besides, I had some writing at home I had to finish. Hopefully, you'll read it soon enough.

 
At 27 July, 2006 13:45, Blogger D said...

Josh: Damn.

Brian: I think there will be more. I'll try and tip you on when I hear anything. I think there's also an impromptu Nats game thing in August, while I'm on vacation.

SEPod: You tease.

 

Post a Comment

<< Return to The DCenters Main Page (HOME)