31 May 2007

Summers in Winter?

Since we're talking about DC soccer institutions, let's turn out attention to the soccer bar. At least through the 2002 World Cup, Summers in Arlington was The Place to catch the games. Now, the North Arlington All Stars says it ain't all that anymore:

Consider this the beginning of an informal campaign against Summers. The short version of my adventure in trying to get into Summers to watch the match was that they were not showing the DCU match, they were showing, in fact, NO SOCCER that night and there was a $10 cover for people to come in to watch some bullshit Ultimate Fighting Championship. huh?

I can think of many people (including a few at this blog) who have said something along the lines of "Summers, eh? Haven't been there in awhile." Part of this is that there are now several soccer friendly establishments around the area, but part of it feels like Summers own doing. The food was never exceptional, the service was average at best, and at times the sheer indifference to getting your game on the TV was infuriating. Now, the fact that they may not have HDNet and so couldn't show the United game is one thing, but you do get the sense that the times have somehow passed Summers by...

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

At 31 May, 2007 14:37, Anonymous Anonymous said...

holy crap man - the same thing happened to me. It was my birthday too and I was all stoked to see some Football. Sucked

 
At 31 May, 2007 15:04, Blogger danielobvt said...

The only reason I would go to Summers is that it is convenient.. (5 minute walk from my condo) Other than that its a pretty indistinguishable sports bar, and not even a very good one at that.

 
At 31 May, 2007 15:18, Blogger Aaron Stollar said...

A large number of Arsenal and Liverpool fans who used to frequent Summers (including myself) have given up on Summers and instead go to Kitty O'Shea's (http://www.kittyosheasva.com/)just a few blocks away. It has nearly all the same games, better food, significantly better service and actually feels like a bar, rather than a Denny's.

 
At 31 May, 2007 15:56, Blogger Kinney said...

I probably have seen you at Kitty's then Aaron. It is a great little pub and directly across from my work.

The most amazing thing about Summers not showing the DC United game last week was that IT ENDED BEFORE THE UFC FIGHTS STARTED. I know this because I watched both. Summer's has constantly shot itself in the foot with bad service, bad food (though I do like some stuff), and bad music.

 
At 31 May, 2007 18:03, Blogger The Manly Ferry said...

Having spent nine months or so in DC (unbelievably, not as an intern of some sort), I popped by Summers now and again (long train ride, too). And, to be blunt about it, the place did strike me as a ('scuse my French) bland shithole of a sports bar. And the food did suck.

It didn't take me long to find places in DC (weird ones, too...can't even name 'em now) willing to show games without much for hassle.

Now that I'm thinking about DC bars, could someone let me know what the Big Hunt looks like these days? I used to work there. Also, please, please tell me the Post Pub, Atomic Billiards (near my old place), a place I think was called the Lucky Bar (didn't care; had cheap beer a couple times a week), and that one place off Dupont that had, like, a gazillion freakin' beers (I think it was the Ratskeller?) are all still around?

Oh, and the place next to the Big Hunt, better by far. Good times...sort of....

 
At 01 June, 2007 09:10, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I moved to DC about 3 years ago, it seemed like Summers was the only place, but with so many other BETTER options now, why bother. I understand many soccer and DCU fans in particular have certain loyalties to the place but when you treat the people you supposedly market/cater to like crap, well, your reputation goes down the crapper. I've found far too many other places to watch matches now and I'd assume spend my money where it is appreciated and not just expected.

 
At 01 June, 2007 10:36, Blogger Kali said...

BRICKSKELLER!!!

I still have fond, fond memories of drinking with the DC Blog Posse last year...

 
At 01 June, 2007 10:51, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As far as I know, all of the bars you mentioned are still open

 

Post a Comment

<< Return to The DCenters Main Page (HOME)