17 August 2007

We're so petty, oh so petty

The past few days, I was on business travel in another MLS city. I did, however, pack my united jerseys on the off hope I could make it to a sports bar playing Telefutura at 10PM Eastern on Wednesday night. Alas, it was not to be.

Now, I confront a dilemma. I'm not going to take the "well, that's one less fixture to worry about for congestion" silver lining. It just doesn't work for me. I wanted the Superliga, especially the inaugural Superliga. I wanted just another MLS first for DC United to carve into their cane (which, given the number of notches it has already, probably shouldn't be used for walking support at all.) And part of me still does, which leads me to this psychological dilemma: Should I root for Pachuca, or the Galaxy? Part of me wants to root for Pachuca, simply for the fact that I want United to preserve its chance to be the first MLS team to win the Superliga. That's a horribly small-minded approach, but I can't deny it. This despite the kind words various Galaxy fans have given to United when United when play in Sudamericana, or CCC, or the like. I just want that opportunity again, and it kills me that it might not happen.

On the other hand, I think the Mexican teams kind of laughed their way through this event, and want them to take it more seriously next go-round. Having an MLS side come out on top helps that situation. I know certain people have made excuses about preseason form for the Mexican teams, but those excuses hold exactly as much weight for their teams as it did for ours in the CONCACAF Champions Cup: Namely, not very much anymore. So I want the LA Galaxy to win it out, and thus make everyone take this tournament more seriously next go round.

So, in short, I'm approaching this whole Superliga final from a very selfish place. Which I'm okay with. I still don't know who to support. Do I give in to pettiness of one sort, or pettiness of the other? No idea.

Labels: , ,

9 Comments:

At 17 August, 2007 10:29, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As much as it pains me, I'm on the Galaxy. I just can't find it within myself to root for any Mexican soccer.

 
At 17 August, 2007 11:24, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think Beckham was the missing "element" tho spice things up and bring American Soccer to a next level.

 
At 17 August, 2007 12:12, Blogger DJC said...

I'm with i-66. Gotta root for the home country on this one. I couldn't stand to hear Mexican fans saying they beat us in a tournament during their preseason. That would just be too much.

 
At 17 August, 2007 14:00, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I got no reason it's all too much you'll always find us out to lunch !

 
At 17 August, 2007 14:11, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tom?
Richard?
-K

 
At 17 August, 2007 16:34, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We would have to finish in the top 4 to even qualify for superliga next year. There is about a 12% chance of that happening given our roster and lack of improvements. Root for the Galaxy...

 
At 17 August, 2007 17:14, Blogger tucksider said...

i've been very politely supporting the whole Beckham circus this whole year, but this game helped me remember that i completely hate the %&#$@ Galaxy.

i thought it was my duty as an American to wish them the best, so i have, but the other night i remembered that even if the whole Beckham thing flops on its face MLS and DC United will be fine.

so #$%^& 'em. i hope they finish behind RSL. i hope Beckham retires at the end of the year. i hope Lalas goes bald, deaf, and mute. i hope Kyle Martino has nightmares in which he's tormented by the fact that it used to seem like he was going to get very good at soccer. i hope Donovan grows a pair and goes back to Germany, where life is actually not that bad as long as you're not a whiny @#$%$& pipsqueak.

i still might root for them against Pachuca, though.

 
At 19 August, 2007 00:56, Blogger tucksider said...

i probably should have specified that i wanted them to beat Red Bull first...

 
At 19 August, 2007 20:37, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't believe you're even debating this? Pachuca. A thousand times Pachuca. F*** pissant other American teams.

 

Post a Comment

<< Return to The DCenters Main Page (HOME)