06 March 2008

Small Signs for Optimism

I haven't been writing much about the pre-season simply because it doesn't matter so long as no head coach decides to give an opposing team's players advice on where they should be geographically located. But I will say this -- There has been some whispered talking about United's lack of goal scoring this season, and according to the UnitedMania podcast, the players themselves started talking about the need to "get results." So when they felt the chips were down, the people we want to score, did score, even in preseason. Indicative of a long-term trend? No. But a small moment of satisfaction? Yes.

So let me say this. For this, as well as a number of other reasons, I am quietly optimistic about this upcoming campaign. It has potential, and not just in a "even Washington Nationals fans can dream of the series in spring training" kind-of-way. A sense of, shall we say, potential energy awaiting a transfer to become suddenly kinetic. Before a real game is played, that's all I can ask for.

Labels:

5 Comments:

At 06 March, 2008 12:03, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The adverb "quietly" does not mitigate the god-taunting.

You will be held responsible.

(Though I suspect we'll all be declaring I Am Ki-rok!)

 
At 06 March, 2008 12:16, Anonymous Anonymous said...

(you need to update your "hello/goodbye" section.)

 
At 06 March, 2008 12:21, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is more a comment on the Santino entry. At the game last night he came out early with a tight hamstring.

I fear that even if the guy finds a way out of the moral hole, or at least finds a way to convince the front office that he's worthy of the oportunity, I still expect he'll have too many injuries and finishing problems.
Unfortunately, he strikes me as the unposter boy of MLS. Comes in with promise, some very nice skills and gets undone by the small modicum of glory that MLS is able to throw at him. Bobby, Freddy, etc. may not have been the impressive successes that MLS hoped for, but Santino is still the opposite. In my mind redemption isn't in the cards. His trajectory of the past 3 years seem irreversable, but I hope I'm wrong.

 
At 06 March, 2008 13:11, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey what ever happened to having a sponsor on the jerseys? Are they just gonna play with blank kits?

 
At 06 March, 2008 16:31, Anonymous Anonymous said...

DCU's (heavily updated) squad is so varied and AWESOME that I can't help but be optimistic...you see for me it's not abotu the scoreline or the numbers like it is for most but it's the quality of the game on the pitch, and I think these guys can do it. The results as of late, although just preseason, are favoring DCU, and especially considering that Chivas USA isn't a half bad team, we can be fairly confident that while the preseason games are meaningless, they are a pretty good measure for our foreseeable future--a positive one. DC is going to tear up the pitch in my opinion. While this may not be as obvious to some fans who don't want to get their hopes up, I have no fear of saying it loud and proud: DC for MLS Champs '08. Heck, why not '09? '10? Evermore?

:)

 

Post a Comment

<< Return to The DCenters Main Page (HOME)