08 April 2008

Speaking Truth From Power

Do you remember BobbyBoswell.Com back when it was all DC related? Do you remember thinking "Hey, Bobby's fine, but The Management is the true star of this blog" and wondering who that pseudonymous personality might be? Well, finally, D.C. United realized that true star was The Management all along, and now The Management has its own "official" blog at BehindTheBadge. And not a moment too soon.

Now, pretty much every other D.C. United blog has plugged Behind The Badge except this blog, though we did blogroll it in the place previously occupied by Mr. Boswell. And so last week I get a quick email from a Mr. Sheldon asking if I'd send a little love over. And I say, "Sure, I'll do that, provided I'm in the right frame of mind to give love to the Official Blog of D.C. United-- you know like a win or something."

And lo, the team performs as it did on Saturday.

Which means it is time to devote The Love (TM) to Behind the Badge as the official blog of D.C. United. It's got a great design and an emerging voice (something so many other official team blogs lack.) Will it work as a good marketing tool? I don't know, but I know I'm going to be reading daily, and hoping for it to succeed. It's a tough job, since I can say whatever the hell I like (in whatever language I choose to use) but Mr. Sheldon has to keep in mind corporate policy and image control and what-not. So I am pleased to see that he is none-the-less writing something that sounds like something other than pure PR Copy. Yes, there are plugs to sell tickets, but using your access to get NCAA final predictions? That's good stuff there. It's not going to be dry, which is always the fear about official type blogs. And it looks like it's going to be informative as well. What more can you ask for?

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 08 April, 2008 18:35, Blogger jason said...

I agree completely with this.

All I request is that BehindTheBadge not be a tool. Be what BobbyBoswell.com had been. A fun place to learn about oddities and interesting tidbits that Steven Goff doesn't ninja you on.

(ala Quaranta's Broken Hand)

 

Post a Comment

<< Return to The DCenters Main Page (HOME)