12 June 2008

Euro 2008

Wow. 4pm on Thursday and AUT v POL is in progress now at 0-1. I'm 50% Polish, so "yay!" I'm also 25% Austrian, so "boo!" I'm also 25% French, with last name Montcalm, so "go France!"

And I'm the proud new owner of an Olympique Lyonnais jersey after my wife's trip to Paris. "Why no PSG jersey?" you might ask? Not sure, but don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

So what's the point? Not sure. But DC United plays on Saturday night, and by then I should be almost ravenous to see our team attempt the quality that I've been seeing from Austria and Switzerland in the past few days.

Tonight: MLS Cup 2007 redux take 2. Although the Revs lost to the Dynamo last year 2-1 for the league championship at RFK, they handily beat the 1836 in their first game of the season by a count of 3 to nil. Should be a good one. Set your Tivos and then meet me at Kitty O'Sheas.

UPDATE (4:41pm): Oh. My. God. How do you give a penalty in stoppage time for that infraction? Horrible decision.

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

At 12 June, 2008 16:49, Blogger Catherine Lucia said...

I dislike Howard (ref for Poland-Austria) immensely.

25% Polish here and at the moment angry!

25% Dutch and lovin it.

The rest is irrelevant :)

 
At 12 June, 2008 16:53, Blogger Unknown said...

25% polish too, and wearing my polish jersey at work today. So happy for 91 minutes to see buroc's amazing stops and enjoying the 0-1 lead.

Looking forward to the DC United game now!

 
At 12 June, 2008 16:54, Blogger Catherine Lucia said...

looking forward to Holland-France tomorrow--and THEN the DCU game! :)

 
At 13 June, 2008 06:35, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did anyone else hear the audible cursing coming from the fans in the first half of the Rev - Dynamo game? I appreciate that ESPN is trying to capture the noise as part of the atmosphere, but putting a boom mic over the drunkest fans in the stadium is probably not the best idea.

 
At 13 June, 2008 22:38, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Netherlands are going to win. They. Are. Amazing. It'll be a Spain-Netherlands final, and 3-1 Dutch win. I watched today's game open-mouthed, then watched my DVR-ed Italy game, and almost shit my pants. This is the best team in the world right now.

 
At 13 June, 2008 22:45, Blogger Catherine Lucia said...

See, I was hoping for a Spain-Holland final too...then I realized they'll meet in the semis.

It'll either be Holland-Portugal or Spain-Portugal, and I'm seriously hoping Portugal is on the losing side of that, but they (darn them) have a fair chance at winning it all.

 
At 14 June, 2008 12:55, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damn, why'd they set it up that way? Oh well. Is it possible for Germany-Holland? I'd like to see that. Spain aren't looking so great against Sweden (they controlled for 15 minutes, then folded).

 
At 14 June, 2008 13:02, Blogger Catherine Lucia said...

I'm not 100% sure of all the permutations after the semis, but a Germany-Holland final is likely possible. Personally I'm hoping for Austria or Poland to fight their way through, but I know that won't happen...

with regard to spain-sweden, at the moment I am furious with the ref. That was a blatant penalty that he should have given to la furia roja and he not only didn't give it to them, he didn't show the slightest sign that he might review what happened. he slapped spain across the face, metaphorically speaking. argh.

besides that, the sides seem to be evenly matched thus far but i believe in my boys in red-and-gold. we'll pull through, we'll be aiight...

 
At 14 June, 2008 13:03, Blogger Catherine Lucia said...

ooh, no zlatan 2nd half. sweet.

not that i like to see him hurt, of course i don't, but i do like to see spain given an advantage.

 
At 14 June, 2008 14:15, Blogger Catherine Lucia said...

looks like Holland is likely to meet Sweden in the quarterfinals after that result from Spain.

la furia roja = FEROZA!!!!

TE QUIERO DAVID VILLA!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Return to The DCenters Main Page (HOME)