04 June 2008

First RAIN Impressions - DC United RAIN : RAIN Houston Dynamo

I know, the game's not canceled yet. But having been out of DC for pretty much the last month straight, I was looking forward to this as a way to reintegrate myself back into the thick of things. To get right back into The Now. Instead, the rain, combined with Bruce Arena's presence in the Comcast Sportsnet studios, has turned this into a nostalgia fest for the 1996 and 1997 cups. Which is great, don't get me wrong. I love our tradition. But doesn't it kinda rub it in... you know... that there was a time when this team was really, really good.

I'm going to give this game as long as possible to get started, but if it's after 2AM, I'm afraid I may have to plead that I have to go to work tomorrow.

But really, I'm back in town. And this town in rain is pretty than most in the sun. So let's get this game going.

2nd Update: From DCUnited.COM: "D.C. United's match against the Houston Dynamo on Wednesday was delayed before kickoff because of lightning, stopped when a torrential downpour made the RFK Stadium pitch unplayable in the 16th minute and eventually postponed. The teams will announce a make-up date on Thursday." Sleep well everyone.

UPDATE: Game postponed. Which may prove to be a blessing, by which I mean that we're at the point where I feel that if Soehn stays around, he may as well stay around for the season. So, in other words, I want to make a decision after this game or next, one way or the other, myself. And how could we really evaluate a damn thing in this weather, even if we won? Yeah. And while I applaud all the fans that showed up, I think commenter Grunthos was pretty smart to bug out when he did.

And I kinda like seeing Russ Thaler (who in the last five years is probably the media personality who has learned the most about soccer) vamp with Bruce Arena (who I do not want to be head coach of United). And seeing Dave Johnson and Tommy Rongren padding the show in Dutch. And the nostalgia, all that nostalgia. The rain feels good, it refreshes, but it disappears and this game will need to be played.

One side note, since in a way I love the rain and thunderstorms. There's a theater warm-up game I played with my improv troupe in college called "Limelight" The premise of the game was simple. You got a bunch of people in a circle, and one person would sing a song in the middle of the circle until they somehow reminded anyone else of a song that might be related to how they were singing. Then that person would sing their song until they were replaced. Repeat.

Somehow Peter Gabriel's Red Rain, no matter what the starting song was, was always the third or fourth song someone would sing. No idea why, or why I am compelled to talk about it.Perhaps it was a mark of college radio tastes in those days. Or perhaps it was just we weren't sophisticated enough to go to Cohen's First We Take Manhattan.


Labels:

12 Comments:

At 04 June, 2008 21:57, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks like leaving the stadium at 8:45 was a good call.

 
At 04 June, 2008 22:01, Blogger D said...

Nice move on that one.

 
At 04 June, 2008 22:10, Blogger jason said...

Matchtracker on mlsnet.com is showing it as postponed at 9:30.

Time to go home ;)

CSN said latest restart 11:15, must-finish at 1 am.

 
At 04 June, 2008 22:25, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, we figured that even if they decided to start up again at some point, it would take at least half an hour to get everything going, because the field would need to be steamrolled in order to be playable. Unless we wanted the game to count in the water polo leagues.


Really, it would have been a farce. Clyde Simms flopping over a Dynamo player just before they stopped play was entertaining as comedy, but certainly not as soccer.

 
At 04 June, 2008 22:44, Blogger I-66 said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 04 June, 2008 22:45, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I stayed through the rain and lightning and until they finally announced the postponement. I have to say that, despite the fact that I was pretty much soaked through, I had way more fun than I should have... except for almost getting hemmed up with the rest of my friends that ran out on the field when I was only trying to help them back over the wall to the bleachers. In the end, it was kinda pointless, and I have to wring myself out for the next hour. Still I'm glad to have been out there.

 
At 05 June, 2008 05:53, Blogger Doug said...

What about Eddie Robinson's suspension? Does he sit out Houston's next game or will it still apply to the game against DCU?

Also, when the rescheduled game rolls around, could somebody remind Brian Ching that he was scratched from this match and shouldn't play?

 
At 05 June, 2008 08:13, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is an excellent question about Eddie Robinson. What are the rules in that regard?

The Ching question stinks. And I don't suppose that there is any way the game will be rescheduled to coincide with a Canadian MNT game so that DeRo and Onstad miss it...

This really screws up my fantasy team for this week.

 
At 05 June, 2008 09:37, Blogger Bob said...

Supporters at RFK last night get full marks in my book.

 
At 05 June, 2008 10:12, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anyone know what they're doing about tickets for this game? I've never been to one that was actually rained out before. I sort of hope that they're not honoring the same tickets 'cause mine is in. . . poor. . . condition.

 
At 05 June, 2008 13:24, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Skippy: I saw on one of the blogs (maybe BTB) that when the new game is scheduled, your tickets from last night will be honored at the gate.

 
At 05 June, 2008 13:56, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Check out my site you want to read the best story you'll ever hear about last night's match and the weather.

 

Post a Comment

<< Return to The DCenters Main Page (HOME)