18 July 2008

Friday Coffee and Call for Advocates

LET'S ENUMERATE THE SUCK: The news of Perralta and Gallardo needing to go out for hernia surgery does suck, as that injury seems to plague this team somehow. The news that Carvallo has been released moderately sucks, in that it indicates our lack of depth not just in defense but in the keeper position as well. And the acquisition of Joe Vide only sucks if we allow ourselves to somehow believe that this is the sum of United's answers to a problem with depth all over the field. So there's suck going around, and this just emphasizes the need to play the reserves in this Superliga match against Houston*. We may need to get them all match fit anyway at the rate players are being lost. The season is not over. It's just more difficult. And this also increases the worry that we may burn out some other players (Moreno, Fred, and Namoff come to mind) while we're trying to stay afloat with these injuries.

CALL FOR ADVOCATES - FRED NEXT FRIDAY: BDR, a man I respect immensely, called for a Fred symposium. While I wanted to oblige, I realized I couldn't resolve the internal arguments in my head in any sort of cohesive fashion. So instead, I want to call back to some work early in this blog's life. Two years ago I toyed with writing mock trial posts, and having things argued out in public. I want to do this again, but I want your help. I want to hold a public trial of Fred, and I'm looking for people to act as the advocates for the defense and prosecution. Next week, we can argue the case over email, and then have a series of posts where the case is heard, and decided by The Honorable Judge D (with concurring or dissenting opinions from other DCenters regulars). If you are interested in acting for the defense or prosecution, drop me an email (the address is on the sidebar). If this works, we'll have more trials in the future. Advocates will have full credit for their work, links to blogs they write, and will of course be admitted to the bar of the Supreme Court of American Soccer. Writing over the next week should consist of no more than 2-3 paragraphs or so, so I hope it won't be too much of a burden. And if it works, I hope to stage more of these in the future. This could be fun. For this version, I'll leave it to the prosecution to determine charges, but might recommend "Negligent Finishing (at least 1 count, perhaps 3 to 4)", "Dereliction of Duty" and "Fraudulent Showboating" So come on, drop me an email and let's get in on the fun.



*Corrected from me stupidly writing Chivas.

Labels: , , , , , ,

14 Comments:

At 18 July, 2008 11:04, Anonymous Anonymous said...

D, you could be the poster child for "the glass is half empty" DCU fans. Gallardo will be back in time to get back into a groove before the playoffs, hopefully with no more nagging injury problems. Carvallo has been (emotionally and tactically) released from United for 2-3 weeks now. And Vide is more of an attempt for United to solve short-term depth problems and clearly not the only attempt (if you believe what you read at mls-rumors). So cheer up!

 
At 18 July, 2008 11:11, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Superliga against Chivas? I wish!
-K

 
At 18 July, 2008 11:13, Blogger D said...

Crap, meant to write Houston. Will fix.

 
At 18 July, 2008 13:43, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to say that I think a trial for Fred seems a little unfair. Fred has his positives and negatives, but I don't see how one can argue that this season he has been a negative. I have less of a problem with the symposium idea - it would give us all a chance to really look at Fred and decide what is realistic to expect from him. I feel like putting Fred up for trial is a bit like putting Moreno up for trial. Yes, there is a degree to which you can say they both hinder the attack (lack of goal scoring being the reason for both), but only if the attack were otherwise perfect. And as much as I lament Moreno's inability to score during the run of play and Fred's inability to score from the 6, I really wouldn't want to see the United attack without them right now.
As for the injuries and fatigue, I am glad that they are happening now, rather than in two or three weeks time, which could have ended US Open Cup and league dreams for United.
P.S. The Revs are going to be hard to catch/beat. I don't think they look amazing, just incredibly, incredibly solid.

 
At 18 July, 2008 14:05, Blogger D said...

Ah, but the trial will be fun. If you'd like, you may take the role of defense, and articulate a positive defense of what his expectations should be, and that he has met them. You up for it Skippy?

And yes, I think the prosecution may have the harder job, but I would love to see it articulated.

 
At 18 July, 2008 15:04, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is the trial to the "beyond a reasonable doubt" or "preponderance of evidence" level?

If the former, the case wouldn't make it past the grand jury (depending on the charge levied).

 
At 18 July, 2008 15:51, Blogger D said...

Depends on the charge and my mood, but in general, preponderance. Want a job as a DA?

 
At 18 July, 2008 19:18, Blogger (j)on said...

im in for the prosecution.
jonfhoffman@gmail.com

 
At 18 July, 2008 19:59, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks, but no thanks. Aside from the fact that, in full disclosure, I missed a couple of the games in July, including this last one and may be tossing the tough criticism into a "he's allowed a few off nights" basket too quickly, the real problem is that I do see a number of problems with Fred. I think he plays at the level of the team, good in some areas deficient in others. To use Burch as another example, he was great in some US Open games (touted as a hero on this blog) and then screwed up this last one (yes, I know there are reasons) and must have enough yellow cards tacked to the wall in his room to make Charlotte Gilman proud, many if not most from unnecessarily rough or simply sloppy challenges.
I'm going to stop with the examples since I don't think I am getting my point across (another reason I probably shouldn't be the defense). I know the trial is just for fun, I'm just interested to hear what people think Fred's problem is; "not scoring" is a symptom, not the actual problem. Because I simply don't have an answer.

 
At 18 July, 2008 20:22, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think we should have Stalinist show trials where players get convicted of reactionary anti-DC sentiments, have their images photoshopped out of team photos and get exiled to the Red Bulls.

 
At 19 July, 2008 08:05, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know of three mid-fielders the front office would love to have back in uniform , but they knoew what was best for this team , what a joke , when you put money on guys like Quaranta , this is what you get , they deserve what they have for a total lack of vision just like their mid-fielders............

 
At 19 July, 2008 17:38, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi anonymous,
Quaranta is costing the team about 30K, I wouldn't call that really spending money on a player. Who are the three midfielders you think the FO would like to have back? I for one don't see midfield as the problem on this team. I think this team needs a true speed demon forward, a better keeper and another quality defended. (I do wonder if the FO would like to get Boz back...)
cheers,
-K

 
At 19 July, 2008 19:15, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear anonymous.......offensive midfield=Gomez , defensive midfield =Boswell and Carroll..........

You can't put a price on poor play , 30,000.00 is not a bargain when the player has so many negatives. Quaranta and a few others play is so poor I wouldn't let them volunteer to play.

 
At 22 July, 2008 15:57, Blogger JCM said...

I am willing to volunteer for the defense. johncmann at gmail.

 

Post a Comment

<< Return to The DCenters Main Page (HOME)